Monday, March 19, 2012

Mong Hing Teochew Restaurant



Recently, my father's friend invited us to dinner at Mong Hing Teochew Resturant. According to Mong Hing's website, it started rolling in the 1950s "at Singapore river side's new market". My father's friend was a child then, and was friends with the restaurant's chef, his family and the restaurant workers. They called him "fat boy" in dialect, and still recognise him today.



Mong Hing is much smaller in size than Beng Hiang, but the restaurant's design, decor, and its bar-type counter reminded me strongly of Beng Hiang. But I am too excited to go into detail about decor. It is a rare experience loving every or nearly every dish you eat at a restaurant. I had this experience at Mong Hing, and I want to show you its food.

Pork Jelly (Cold)

Golden Pouches


The Golden Pouches were fried to a crisp yet not oily. Each was filled with delicious ground pork, pure and not mixed with cornflour. I could have eaten the fillings of five of them.

Steamed Pomfret Teochew Style


Mong Hing Sambal Crayfish

When the crayfish arrived, it was covered in so much fried egg and onions that I thought it was crab. In my opinion, the egg and onions outshone the crayfish. I did not taste much sambal in there, not of the sambal kangkong kind at least, and in fact the egg and onions tasted like they were fried char kway teow style. They were so good that they could be a dish on their own.

Prawns with a julienned vegetable that was like leek

The prawns were big, fresh, springy and juicy.

Hor Fun

Sea Cucumber with Fish Maw

We were served with a generous amount of braised sea cucumber, fish maw and mushrooms so that each person could have had two pieces of each.

Yam Paste Gingko Nuts & Pumpkin

I did not have any of this, but it was so delicious that my mother had half of my bowl, and my father's friend had the other half. Everyone else finished their bowl really fast.


Complimentary Fruit

Tea to clear the grease

My father's friends and my family enjoyed the food so much that we are planning to return soon. I already know a dish I want to try: Mong Hing's braised goose meat!



Mong Hing Teochew Restaurant
http://www.monghing.com.sg/

371 Beach Road
Keypoint #01-18
Singapore 199597

Tel: 6223 4588


Opening Hours: 11am – 3pm, 6 – 11pm 

2 comments:

  1. The restaurant will draw down its curtain come 19 May 2013....After 58 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad... last chance to eat their specialities!

    ReplyDelete