Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kam Long Curry Fish Head, Johor Bahru


Mom had been wanting to visit Johor Bahru's City Square shopping mall to run some errands. Before we drove there, I Googled around for good places to eat at near the shopping mall. If we are going to go all the way to Johor Bahru, we might as well fill our stomach with what is good there!


One of the places that popped up high on the good-food list was "Kam Long curry fish head". Somemore Googling produced reviews on the following blogs:
After reading these reviews, mom and I decided to try and locate Kam Long Restaurant if we could. It was not a must-do on our list, as we were hesitant to venture too far from the shopping mall for fear of being attacked / robbed.

It was actually by chance that we spotted Kam Long Restaurant. We were on our way to a pharmacy nearby and spotted a bunch of people standing outside a shop. We could not see the signboard, but from the pictures on the blogs above I figured it was Kam Long. As I did not want to take out my Samsung Galaxy SII phone, I have no pictures of the restaurant. However I did take pictures of the fish head curry components that we packed back from Kam Long for dinner.


Mom ordered two fish heads, which they wrapped in newspaper and packed with some ice. We also had a bag of vegetables comprising cabbage, okra and green beans, and beancurd.


They gave us a big bag of curry, some of which I asked mom to keep aside for future re-use.






Tada! The final cooked product.

I loved the beancurd strips, and the curry did taste as delicious as the blog reviewers claimed. The curry was light, tasted like curry, and was only mildly spicy. If any coconut milk was used at all, only a splash was present in our curry.

The thing is that all broths, curries, gravies, sauces, etc - if they are natural, they will carry a taste of what was used as their base. For example, chicken bone broth will have a deeper flavour and taste like chicken, and vegetable broth will taste slightly sweet. I have had Indian chicken curry on my tongue tasting very complex from the coconut milk being infused with the range of spices used.

This curry, however, tasted different. Neither did it have a deep flavour nor taste complex. It was like drinking sugar water as compared to orange juice from freshly squeezed oranges.

Later that night I paid the price with an unquenchable thirst, and probably drank about 2.5 litres of water. As I could not rule out the Nandos chicken I ate as the cause, I had some leftover fish curry the next night and downed another 2.5 litres of water after. We ended up throwing away the extra curry that we stored for future use.



Kam Long Restaurant
74 Jalan Wong Ah Fook
80000 Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Opening hours: Daily, 8am - 4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment